|Borough Commander Says Fatal Stabbing was "Isolated Incident"|
While 27 year-old suspect is sectioned under Mental Health Act
Hammersmith and Fulham Borough Commander Lucy D'Orsi has issued a message of reassurance to local residents after a 65 year-old man was fatally stabbed on Fulham High Street on Thursday evening.
A 27 year-old man who was arrested near the scene on suspicion of murder has been sectioned under the Mental Health Act for a period of assessment.
And the Borough Commander's message, published on her regular blog says: " I would like to reassure the local community that this was an isolated incident and that one man remains in custody.
"The streets of Hammersmith and Fulham are getting safer as has been reported previously by us, the Local Authority and local media and it is this reduction in crime that makes serious and tragic incidents such as this all the more concerning for the community.
" My officers are assisting the investigating team and the local Safer Neighbourhoods Teams are conducting additional reassurance patrols in the area and would be happy to speak to residents to confirm that this was not a random incident on the streets of this Borough.
"I cannot say any more at this stage of the investigation but at this time we are not looking for anyone else in connection with this incident and I will try to update you when I am able.
" If you have anything you want me to be aware of then please feel free to e-mail me through this site or through the normal channels."
The stabbing happened early in the evening when this area is very busy with commuters coming off the tube at Putney Bridge Station and police are continuing to appeal for witnesses to come forward.
Police say officers were called at approximately 6.55pm on Thursday 25 October to Fulham High Street SW6 following reports of an assault. A man aged 65, suffering from stab wounds, was pronounced dead at the scene at 7.36pm.
A post mortem on Friday at Fulham mortuary gave the cause of death as single knife wound though police are not prepared to discuss this any further at present.
Police add that the man's next of kin are aware, and they await formal identification.
Locally however, the victim as Colin, a former concierge who was well known in the nearby Eight Bells pub. Tom Dignam, manager at the nearby Eight Bells pub, told the Evening Standard on Friday that he was a "very nice man who lost his job and lost his way".
He said: "He had his own flat. He used to come in here a few years ago and was a respectable working gentleman, but he lost his job and had a nervous breakdown.
"We had to stop serving him because he was letting himself go and shouting at people. I used to see him on the streets and give him a fiver."
An incident room has opened under DI Craig Bradley of the Homicide and Serious Crime Command.
He said: "I am still appealing for any people who were in the area and witnessed this incident, or the events leading up to this incident, to come forward and speak to my team.
"At this early stage it is unclear what the motive for this incident was - if you saw anything, or have any information which may help the investigation, please get in contact."
Anyone with information is asked to contact the incident room on 020 8345 3715; if you wish to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.