Man's Body Pulled from Thames at Chelsea Harbour

Second tragedy as woman who drowned last Tuesday is named

Related Articles

Charli Brown

Woman Drowns in Late Night Speedboat Accident

Floating Cinema Hitches A Ride With Local Lifeboat

Chiswick RNLI

Man Rescued Following Attempt to Jump off Kew Bridge

RNLI Rescue Latymer Upper Boat Crew

RNLI Rescue Four After Barge Hits Houseboat


Sign up for your local newsletter:,,,,

A man's body has been recovered from the River Thames at Chelsea Harbour Pier in the second local accident within a week.

Police say officers were called to the Thames Path at 8.27am on Thursday, December 10, after a member of the public saw a body in the water.

A crew from Tower RNLI was called and a body of a man, believed to be in his twenties or thirties, was recovered from the river 15 minutes later.

An RNLI spokesman said: "The lifeboat arrived and the crew found a deceased man who was caught against a river pylon.

"It was agreed in the circumstances that the police would recover the body and the lifeboat was stood down."

Police said that circumstances surrounding the man's death were unclear.

New of this second tragedy came as a woman who drowned in the Thames two nights before on Tuesday December 8 was named as Charlotte Sophie Brown, aged 24.

Charlotte, who preferred to be known as Charli, lived in East Finchley but was originally from Welling, Kent.

At around 11.45pm on Tuesday December 8, police responded to reports of shouting coming from the River Thames at Plantation Wharf, just east of Wandsworth Bridge. Charli and a 29 year-old man were recovered from the water and taken to hospital. A boat was later recovered from the water at the scene.

Charli died in hospital and a post-mortem examination was held on December 11 at St George's Hospital mortuary. No cause of death was established and the coroner ordered further tests.

The 29 year-old man was subsequently discharged from hospital. Police say he has not been arrested and has assisted officers as a significant witness.

Detectives from Wandsworth borough are investigating alongside the Port of London Authority and in consultation with the Marine Accident Investigation Branch, but the incident is not believed to be suspicious.

An inquest is due to open on Tuesday December 15th, under the Wandsworth Coroner.

Late night rescue - library photo from the RNLI


December 15, 2015

Bookmark and Share